Welcome to my oneplanetblog site – a mixture of professional articles, some personal blog posts and the general information on my work to make tourism more socially and environmentally sustainable. That means minimising the negative and maximising the positive impacts of tourism on nature and local communities in destinations.
I am an international sustainable tourism consultant, specialising in responsible destination management and Protected Areas (PA) tourism.
After over a decade working in communications and stakeholder engagement, including five years at the UK Department for International Development, for the last six years I have worked as a Sustainable Tourism Expert for national and local Tourism Boards (Georgia, Poland) as well as for the World Bank (Georgia), the German Development Agency GIZ (Georgia, Armenia, Serbia, Albania), the WWF Caucasus (Georgia).
I hold a Master of Science (with Distinction) degree in Responsible Tourism Management as well as two other Masters (Master of Arts in Sociology and in Politics).
I am also:
- Mentor and Associate Staff member at Leeds Beckett University for the MSc in Responsible Tourism Management course. This is the only responsible tourism management MSc in the world certified by the UNWTO.
- Trainer in sustainable tourism. I have lead group work as a tutor for the global OECD-led online training on The Future of Tourism in Natural Areas post-Covid. I’ve delivered workshops on improving destination stewardship for regional DMOs in Poland. I have also been selected by The EUROPARC Federation to train Protected Areas staff on sustainable tourism.
- Speaker and moderator at several international sustainable tourism conferences and events and regular contributor to portals and publications on responsible tourism
- The first sustainable tourism expert working in the Caucasus region interviewed for the prestigious Sustainability Leaders Project
- Graduate of the GSTC Sustainable Tourism Training Programmerun by the Global Sustainable Tourism Council
For the more Caucasus-specific experience, please see the ‘Caucasus and me’ page.
I am always interested in new opportunities to work in sustainable tourism in emerging destinations. Please contact me for any consultancy/speaking opportunities: firstname.lastname@example.org